The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 2000 (COPPA)
COPPA mandates that websites such as this obtain parental permission before collecting children's (under 13 years of age) personal information. In compliance with the Act, we provide the following:
Who is the owner/operator of the site?
Free Union Country School, Inc.
4220 Free Union Road (PO Box 250)
Free Union, VA 229440
What information is collected on this site and how?
Information such as student names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses, and in some cases, personal history questionnaires, are collected as part of the school enrollment process, and in response to a request to be placed on the School mailing list.
Who has access to the personal information?
The information collected on this site is available only to the Free Union Country School staff. Outside entities, such as businesses, creditors, mass marketers, and the like, cannot access personal information.
The Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999
We share financial or identifying information with no one. Any information we gather from you is for the exclusive use of the Free Union Country School, and will not be shared with or sold to any other person or organization. We will only share information when we have your permission to do so, or in response to a subpoena or court order. In the latter case, we will contact you immediately.
At Free Union Country School, we may collect name and address and credit card information in payment for school services and in the receipt of financial contributions. The policies of our bank, The Virginia National Bank, ensure encryption of real time submission of your credit card information from our website to the bank.
Free Union Country School Privacy Conventions and Procedures
- Free Union Country School will not release personal information about any student to any other party unless authorized by the parent or guardian. If we receive a request, for example, from another family or party seeking your child's address, we will not provide it. Rather, we will notify you and let you make the contact.
- We will not verify your child's enrollment in school to any third party.
- Free Union Country School will issue passwords to parents who wish access to parent portal on the web site.
- When parents sign the enrollment form, they are giving permission to use photos of their child in promotional material and on the website. However, Free Union Country School will not identify by name any student whose picture appears on our website or in promotional materials.
Here, from the Federal Trade Commission, is some important information about surfing, privacy, and your personal information:
- Never give out your last or family name, your home address or your phone number in chat rooms, on bulletin boards, or to online pen pals.
- Don’t tell other kids your screen name, user ID or password.
- Surf the Internet with your parents. If they aren’t available, talk to them about the sites you’re visiting.
- Websites must get your parent’s permission before they collect many kinds of information from you.
- If a website has information about you that you and your parents don’t want it to have, your parents can ask to see the information – and they can ask the website to delete or erase the information.
- Sites are not supposed to collect more information than they need about you for the activity you want to participate in. You should be able to participate in many activities online without having to give any information about yourself.
- If a site makes you uncomfortable or asks for more information than you want to share, leave the site.